20/05/2017

EA6/MA-032 (Santuari de Cura)

20/May/2017    EA6/MA-032 (Santuari de Cura)

Approaching the summit from Llucmajor via the MA-5010

For my last day of SOTA, I selected two summits, both close to each other, but very different in difficulty.

EA6/MA-032 is another easy drive-up summit. I came from the south via Llucmajor, over the MA-5010, All is well indicated, and the road to the summit is easy. Lots of parking space too, so no problem.

The monastery and gardens are a nice tourist visit
Tourists will like the nice visit of the buildings and gardens. Read more about the history here :
The actual name of the summit is Puig de Randa.

Hams will of course have more admiration for the vast array of antennas on the summit, including the big radar radome.
Lots of antennas ...

Even inside the monastery, you might think you find more antennas. Doesn't this one look like a new design for a "Cross Field Antenna" ? I was tempted to connect my KX3 and see if it tuned up ... HI

New CFA design ?

After a short visit, it was time to set up for SOTA, the chasers were waiting ... and I wanted to do that second summit ! (read the final part of my Mallorca report for that).
I found a quiet spot away from the main access road, but couldn't get very far from from the radio towers, they are everywhere !
Still, I didn't experience any higher noise levels than ususal.

"Rock solid" copy from this spot ...

Antenna was the endfed, and I lifted the balun a little from ground with my backpack.


Trying to "stay under the radar" ...

I was happy to have a 2m contact with Ricardo, EA6AIF right away. After that I made a QSO on 40m SSB with Ricardo, and with his friend Lorenzo, EA6KB
They were doing a first activation of new summit EA6/MA-067, Puig de ses Vinyes. Nice !

Then I made a whole bunch of QSO's on HF, the counter stopped at 46 after approximately 90 minutes, not a bad result. Maybe this was all due to the "balun lifting" ?
Alas, it was time to move on to my next summit, so after a light meal (a tortilla and a beer), I went searching for my last summit on Mallorca ..  which would be a FIRST activation too, a nice way to end my trip !


Mmm ... food !

The restaurant is housed in the former library of the monastery, and is worth a visit by itself.

The terrace of the restaurant has a nice view over the area
(to be continued ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All reactions will be moderated. Publicity or links to other sites are not allowed.