15/05/2017

EA6/MA-063 (Jaumell)

15/May/2017    EA6/MA-063 (Jaumell)


Easy looking little hill ...

On May 14th, I hadn't planned any SOTA activity, and made it a very relaxing Sunday ...
So I went to the beautiful beach at Cala Mesquida, near Capdepera.
There is free parking in the dead-end street at Bar Willies here 39.741003, 3.429405

Beach at Cala Mesquida


While at the beach, I could see a hill in the distance, with a small stone watchtower on top.
I wondered if it also was a SOTA summit ? Of course it was ! ... as I found out when I returned in my B&B.

At the beachfront, I had seen some sign with walking tours (for tourists), one of those seemed to go to this watchtower, so I took a picture of it.



I hadn't prepared for this summit, but because I used MA-065 on May 13 to replace a summit I had to cancel earlier, this looked to be a good candidate.

So on May 15, I went back to Cala Mesquida, but this time not for sunbathing or swimming ... now it was SOTA time !
The walk to the top seemed easy, but it took me about one hour to walk from my car to the summit (pos 39.738262, 3.451393). My track is on SMP.

A Swedish couple was going the same way, and they took a nice picture of me.

EA6/ON7DQ on Jaumell MA-063

The tower on the summit is really only half of what it had been, but this provided a nice shaded spot to operate.

Operating spot


My fishing pole was attached to the 'vertice' to hold my endfed as usual, and I started calling CQ on 20m SSB. Propagation was at it worst, and after two QSO's I switched to 20m CW.
When I had only one QSO after a long time, I switched to 30m which went a little better.
In total I only got 10 QSO's, the minimum number on my EA6 trip.
Here the map o my QSO's (from Log2Map by ON6ZQ), all were from the north, and about the same distance :



Antenna and nice view from the summit


(to be continued ...)



No comments:

Post a Comment