25/06/2023

ON7DQ Friedrichshafen 2023 - Day 6

I didn't buy a ticket for the Ham Radio today, instead I planned the activation of two nearby summits.

The first summit was my third attempt to activate it. At my first attempt in 2019, the summit was closed because of rockfall, last year I didn't make it because I was not feeling too well and it was very hot on the day that I was in the area, so I had to cancel again ... but this time it was going to work !

DM/BW-101, Hohentwiel - 690m, 6 Points

(source https://www.festungsruine-hohentwiel.de/en/)

Parking: 47.766977, 8.818272
Walking time: 25 minutes one way (but don't forget to reserve some time to visit the fortress !)
I arrived at the parking at 09:20, the temperature was already 25°C.

I had heard about this summit from Michael DB7MM in 2018, but never got the chance to visit.
To activate this summit, one must buy a ticket at the visitor centre near the parking, no tickets are sold at the fortress entrance (at the time of my visit, a ticket was 5€).

The walk up there is quite steep and it was rather exhausting on a hot day like this, take enough water!
But the walk is nice, don't forget to look around and enjoy.
You can also see the other "Hegau Volcano" summits of  Hohenwewen and Hohenstoffeln, I activated those in 2019.



Along the road is an old churchyard, then you walk through a tunnel, then arrive at an open space before the gate to the fortress. 


After that it's still some climbing before you finally arrive at the summit.




I walked around  some 30 minutes, then looked for a place to set up my station without bothering the other visitors, and found a nice spot at the far end of the fortress, near the "Pulverturm". 

(source: sotl.as)

There is nice picknick bench under a tree, almost hidden from view, can you spot it ?


I also set up the antenna so as not to block the passage.
I was well protected from the sun under my tree ;-), so it was a nice activation.

Result: 29 QSO's , including 10 S2S ! No DX.


At 12:00 I was back at my car, and first had my lunch.
Then it was time to find my second summit.

DM/BW-850, Hochbühl - 717m, 6 points



Parking: 47.803079, 9.139839
Walking time: 15 minutes one way

I had seen three tracks on the SMP site, but of course I chose the shortest one by Markus, HB9BRJ.
It's only 1 km and 15 minutes walking, to a spot which is in the Activation Zone. I didn't bother to walk to the real summit ... it was too hot, hi. Temperature was now 27°C, and by the end of my activation it was already 30°C !
And after all, at this spot you're only a mere 11 m below the summit.
 


I set up my station along the forest track, and I wasn't bothered by anyone ...
I used my longer wire again, and used the handle of my trolley backpack to raise the 9:1 UNUN about 1m above ground. 


Sitting on my mini aluminium table, used as a chair, I had a nice activation.



Result: 25 QSO's and 11 S2S, no DX.



I didn't make it too long, I was back at my apartment by 17:00. I had some packing to do and prepare the trip for the next day, direction Freiburg !

Continue reading ... go to DAY 7 

or

Go back to overview HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment

All reactions will be moderated. Publicity or links to other sites are not allowed.