08/08/2016

Ardennes and Luxemburg SOTA Tour - Day 3


This day I activated the other 2 summits in Luxemburg.

LX/LX-004, Widderbierg - 387m, 2 points



I drove the Rue de la Grotte (in places also called Rue Wangert), from the village of Mensdorf.
Parking position was 49.65787, 6.31164, and from there I followed the track by G4OBK from SMP.
[EDIT : on later activations, I found a better parking spot and shorter walk into the AZ, see this report ]


I found a nice place to set up in the AZ, there was a pole in the ground that I could tie my fishing pole to.



Despite wearing long trousers and putting them in my socks, I got bitten by a tick on this summit, my first one in SOTA !
I found it on my belly, so it probably found its way "up" under my tshirt, while walking through the tall grass.

The activation resulted in 30 QSO's, and one S2S with Kurt, HB9AFI/P.



By the time I got back at the car, it was time for lunch .. my "baguette" was still fresh and tasty, keeping it in my cool box.
TIP : I bought it at Delitraiteur, Avenue de Longwy 400 in Arlon, pos 49.668036, 5.824249 , and it's only 2 km from highway E25. 


LX/LX-002, Grengenwald - 432m, 4 points


Second and last summit for this day.
I followed again the info and track from G4OBK.
Parking position 49.66892, 6.20344, and then track from SMP.
[EDIT : on later activations, I found a better parking spot and shorter walk into the AZ, see this report ]



After reading Phils' blog, I had to find the bench he wrote about, and so I did.
I tied my pole to the back of the bench and had a nice operating desk !

I made 18 QSO's, including 1 S2S.


And with that last one, I got all 4 summits in LX activated.

I still had most of the afternoon left, and so went swimming in Les Thermes in Strassen .. and of course I did fill up on gas before rerturning home the next day.


Continue reading on the trip back home on Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

All reactions will be moderated. Publicity or links to other sites are not allowed.