21/06/2026

ON7DQ Friedrichshafen 2026 - Day 1

From Ostend to Bitche (FR), 537 km


As usual, I left my home QTH very early, at 05:17 local time. I had chosen to start my trip on a Sunday, to have the lowest possible traffic.
I had my breakfast along the highway, after the first 200 km. Then I still had a ride of another 200 km to arrive at the first summit around 08:45.

DM/RP-187, Wildenburger Kopf - 670m, 6 points (POTA DE-0022/0026/1015)


This is an 'almost drive up' summit, there is a large parking at 49.775906, 7.254521

From there it is only a 5 minute walk to the "Aussichtsturm Wildenburg" on the summit.

I set up my station near the lookout tower, and even being there on a Sunday, I didn't see any living soul during the whole of my activation. On arrival, the temperature was 24°C.



I started sitting close to the tower, but after a while, I got into the sun, so I moved to another corner under the overhang. There I used a bin as a comfy table to put my rig on.


Since we are having the 2m CW/SSB Challenge in 2026, I did set up my "Hourglass Antenna" at the end of my activation, and could make four 2m CW QSO's.


 

In one hour, I made 30 QSO's with 6 S2S. Here a map of the QSO's.



DM/RP-158, Erbeskopf - 816m, 8 points (POTA DE-0022/0026/1015/0623/0858)

This is an other drive-up summit, only 17 km away from the first.
Parking is available in front of the gate to the military installation, position 49.729775, 7.090396.

This summit is completely in  a military area, so it needs a permit, don't forget to request it, about one month in advance. It can all be done via e-mail. See info on the summit page.


I found a nice operating shelter near the lookout tower (go left just past the lookout tower).


I had a real "shack on the summit", and could sit in the shade, isn't that nice?


By now, the temperature had risen to 31.7°C 


Again, I made 30 QSO's here, with ** S2S

***










Continue reading ... go to DAY 2

or

Go back to overview HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

All reactions will be moderated. Publicity or links to other sites are not allowed.